Pet odours and mould odours are unbearable smells that one cannot tolerate in their favourite carpets. If you too are worried about these odours in your carpet then here we share some effective methods to get rid of these two types of odours from a carpet. Just keep in mind to keep kids and pets away while you are working on odour removal from the carpet because some odour removing agents are strong in nature and could be harmful for kids and pets.
How to Remove Pet Odours
- The first thing you have to do is to soak up the excess liquid as soon as you get to know about it. You can use paper towel or kitchen towel to do it. If it is an old spot then first you have to wet the area and then dab with a towel.
- Pour green dish detergent on a wet paper towel and use it to blot the urine spots on the carpet.
- Next step is to sprinkle baking soda on the spot while the carpet is still wet. Don’t worry about getting the soda damp.
- Let the soda sit for overnight. Baking soda along with soap will take time to work on the stain and odour.
- Without removing the baking soda, spray a little white vinegar on the spot. If you see foam then don’t panic as vinegar and soda react when they come in contact with each other. And this reaction helps in eliminating the pet odour.
- Another treatment for pet odour removal is to use a mixture of baking soda, water, and white vinegar. You need to take one cup of water, one cup of white vinegar, and two tablespoons of baking soda. Mix all of these in a spray bottle. You can use these cleaner for 2-3 months. You can even add hydrogen peroxide to this mixture for stronger smells. However, first test the mixture on a small portion of the carpet that is not easily visible.
- Let this mixture sit for five minutes (for hydrogen peroxide solution, you should wait for at least 15 minutes). Keep kids and pets away while treating your carpet with this solution.
- Use a piece of clean cloth to soak up this mixture. Wipe away the left over baking soda and then blot the wet area. After the carpet is dry, if the smell is still there and if it is then you will have to use a best carpet steam cleaner. Also, check the carpet padding if it is soaked in pet urine. In such a case, you will have to replace the padding.
- For stubborn stinky smells or for a lot of set-in pet smells, you will need a carpet steam cleaner. You can rent one from an expert carpet cleaner or you can hire professionals to do the job. If you are using the machine on your own then use a commercial odour removing cleaner. Run the cleaner as instructed and then wait for the carpet to dry. You can even use enzymatic cleaner for pet odour removal. Use the cleaner several times for complete odour removal.
How to Remove Mould Odour
Before you set down to remove mould odour from a carpet, it is best to address the causes of such odours. If you smell mould odour in your carpet then there are certain things you need to change in your daily routine. Keep a fan running during showers, use a dehumidifier more often, use a chimney or exhaust fan while cooking, and open a window to let shower steam out. And to eliminate existing mould smell from the carpet, try the following:
- If your carpet is wet or damp then use a wet-dry vacuum to completely eradicate wetness and limit mould growth.
- Dilute white vinegar with water. Take 2 cups of warm water and mix it with 1 cup of water. Spray this mixture on the entire carpet and make it amply damp.
- Now sprinkle baking soda over the damp carpet to make it react with vinegar. Working on smaller sections at a time will be easier.
- You will have to wait for a few hours before the vinegar-water-baking soda mixture gets dry. You can use ceiling fans to quicken the drying process.
- Once it is dry, you need to use a vacuum cleaner to extract the left over baking soda. Also, open the window and switch on a fan for quick drying and to avoid recurring mould smell.
- If the mould smell still persists then you will have to consult a professional to get away with it. Always keep in mind that mould is a serious problem. Apart from its smell, it has the potential to damage your carpet and cause health problems for the inhabitants of the home. So you should never ignore the problem.
If you need professional help in Canberra, then come to Neat n Clean for professional, affordable, and reliable carpet odour removal services!